HOW TO MEASURE AND INSTALL A CURTAIN
The first thought that crosses a mind when think about installing curtains is “How curtains work?” and that followed by “How curtains are measured, what curtains go on track, how curtains should be hung?”.
To answer all these inquiries, we have gathered simple and easy to follow thumb rules of instructions on how to measure and install a curtain.
Grab a metal tape and let’s start by measuring the window to get accurate measurements for the curtains.
TO MEASURE CURTAIN WIDTH:
Using a metal tape measure the width of the window using an existing curtain track. If there is no curtain pole or track than a window recess can be measured.
TO MEASURE CURTAIN LENGTH:
First, decide where you would like your curtains to fall
- To the window sill (15 to 20 cm below the sill)
- To the floor (1 cm above the floor)
- Above the radiator (2cm above)
- To add flare on the floor. (12 cm to the desired length)
Using metal tape measure from the top of the curtain track to the desired length. Add required seam allowances for different types of curtain styles like eyelet curtains or pleated ones. Once the length and width are measured now comes the part to measure a curtain fabric. First, select the finest quality fabric and choose the lining carefully to protect the fabric from fading.
Now to measure the fabric curtain pole or track should be in place because measurement without a pole will be inaccurate. Always double check your measurements.
For best curtain lengths it is advisable to drop the curtains a centimeter or half above the floor. For curtain, measurement-do not use window width instead measure the curtain track.
Single curtain track: if you have a single curtain track, simply measure the total length of the track from one end to the other with the metal tape.
Overlap track: if you have an overlap curtain track first measure the rail that is above and then measures the overlap. add both measurements together. Don’t measure the decorative curtain ends.
TO MEASURE THE VALANCE:
Measure the width of the valance rail, which is mostly 30cm wider than the curtain track because it returns on either side.
INSTALLING A CURTAIN:
To hang the curtain, select a curtain track that is wider than your window width doesn’t go too narrow because this will not be enough for the curtain panels to hang on either side of the window. It will also fail to cover the complete window.
Wider curtain rods also trick the eye into thinking that the window is larger than the actual size. It is advisable to go 10 or 12 inches wider than the window. Use plenty of fabric to give a fuller look because when the curtain is drawn it will fully cover the window. Hang high, the height of the curtain rod makes a window look taller this is why the curtain rod is installed closer to the ceiling. For guidance install curtain track 4 to 6 inches above the window frame.
FOLLOW THESE THREE STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO HANG A CURTAIN:
- The first step is to install the curtain rod by marking the bracket location on the wall. Double-check the placement by hanging the rod and always check the rod is balanced with a level tool.
- Drill holes for screws and fix the brackets and attach curtain pole then fix the other bracket and put one curtain ring on each end of the pole before attaching curtain finials.
- Hang the curtains according to your window treatment and the instructions for the rod. Tighten the screws and install the finials of each rod.
Watch how to order Call Now 866-215-3173
How to choose curtain
Choosing a curtain can be a devastating and time-consuming task. The options and variations are practically endless. Don’t get lost on curtain styles and issues on curtain selection topic like which curtains for bay windows? and sometimes the problem is what curtains go with grey walls? and don’t fret on curtains terminology. The main purpose is to choose the type and style of curtains according to the window placement and the theme of your house.
Here are guidelines to go through while choosing a perfect curtain for your space:
First step: choose the appropriate length
The decision to choose the length of the curtain or draperies is up to you.
- Longer curtains or drapery length signifies a formal and more dignified look. Whereas shorter length implies an informal and relaxed mood.
- Short length curtains are used for more casual areas.
- Length of the curtain till the floor is more formal
- Length of the certain making puddles on the floor is considered to be romantic.
- The length of the curtain to the window sill is more casual and active.
These thumb rules are useful when choosing curtains room by room.
- Formal zones: informal zones like dinning drawing and dressing rooms, the curtains are advisable to touch the floor. Extra-long curtains that drape on the floor look elegant for private zone areas.
- Work zone: work zones like kitchen laundry areas the curtain length should stop just below the window sill. Never hang long curtains in work zones. As these are the busy and fussy areas especially avoid hanging curtains near the cooking areas like the stove.
Second step: texture selection
Texture plays an important role in room décor. when choosing a texture for the curtains the question arises in mind is “Will curtains keep my house warm?” or “Will curtains keep my room cooler?”. To satisfy this curiosity, one should be careful while choosing the texture as It provides a visual texture to overall plain furniture or it can balance out existing textured upholstery. For this considering the mood and aura of the room and the theme of the interior will help and guide you to select the right texture for the curtains. For formal areas, heavyweight fabrics like velvet jacquard and heavy silk are ideal because they are seldom washed and dry-clean-only option.
For work zones, easily washable fabrics with textures like cotton, sateen, silky rayon is more practical. Cotton and its variations have a crisp texture that brings a neat and sleek look to the room and is easy to use and maintain.
Third step: select color
People often underestimate that color is a powerful design tool. It can bring life to a dull décor or complements a bland theme in space. For curtains, color selection is as important as it can be for any other thing if you want curtains to blend with the décor, follow the main color scheme of the designated room. For blending the curtain colors can be selected a few shades lighter or darker of the main hue. Complementary curtains pop out and bring a vibrant change to a room. A bold color can create a wow factor when chosen against a neutral color scheme.
Step four: pattern and prints
If the furniture has an elaborate pattern or is printed, curtains should be chosen plain or solid with one tone. If the bedding or furniture have solid color it is advisable to select patterned and printed curtains.
Patterns also help to create textures in a plain room. Like from a distance small prints like dots and checks or even herringbone pattern give visual texture