First thought that crosses a mind when think about installing curtains is “How curtains work?” and that followed by “How curtains are measured, what curtains go on track, how curtains should be hung?”.
To answer all these enquiries, we have gathered simple and easy to follow thumb rules of instructions on how to measure and install a curtain.
Grab a metal tape and let’s start by measuring the window to get accurate measurement for the curtains.
TO MEASURE CURTAIN WIDTH:
Using a metal tape measure the width of the window using an existing curtain track. If there is no curtain pole or track than window recess can be measured.
TO MEASURE CURTAIN LENGTH:
First decide where you would like your curtains to fall
- To the window sill (15 to 20 cm below the sill)
- To the floor (1 cm above the floor)
- Above the radiator (2cm above)
- To add flare on the floor. (12 cm to desired length)
Using metal tape measure from the top of the curtain track to the desired length. Add required seam allowances for different types of curtain styles like eyelet curtains or pleated ones. Once the length and width are measured now comes the part to measure a curtain fabric. First select a finest quality fabric and choose the lining carefully to protect the fabric from fading.
Now to measure the fabric curtain pole or track should be in place because measurement without a pole will be inaccurate. Always double check your measurements.
For best curtain lengths it is advisable to drop the curtains a centimeter or half above the floor. For curtain measurement do not use window width instead measure the curtain track.
Single curtain track: if you have a single curtain track, simply measure the total length of the track from one end to the other with the metal tape.
Overlap track: if you have an overlap curtain track first measure the rail that is above and then measure the overlap. add both measurements together. Don’t measure the decorative curtain ends.
TO MEASURE THE VALANCE:
Measure the width of the valance rail, which is mostly 30cm wider than the curtain track because it returns on either side.
INSTALLLING A CURTAIN:
To hang the curtain, select a curtain track that is wider than your window width doesn’t go too narrow because this will not be enough for the curtain panels to hang on either side of the window. It will also fail to cover the complete window.
Wider curtain rods also trick the eye into thinking that the window is larger than the actual size. It is advisable to go 10 or 12 inches wider than the window. Use plenty of fabric to give a fuller look because when the curtain is drawn it will fully cover the window. Hang high, the height of the curtain rod makes a window look taller this is why the curtain rod is installed closer to the ceiling. For guidance install curtain track 4 to 6 inches above window frame.
FOLLOW THESE THREE STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO HANG A CURTAIN:
- The first step is to install the curtain rod by marking the bracket location on the wall. Double check the placement by hanging the rod and always check the rod is balanced with a level tool.
- Drill holes for screws and fix the brackets and attach curtain pole then fix the other bracket and put one curtain ring one each end of the pole before attaching curtain finials.
- Hang the curtains according to your window treatment and the instructions for the rod. Tighten the screws and install the finials of each rod.